journal entry #7

After I completed my MLE paper I had one of my three interviewees read it and ask what they thought about what I wrote. One of the main things they said was that they like the personal connection I made to the paper, saying how I learned English when I was in the Philippines. It shows the reader that you are not just the researcher, but you are deeply involved in the investigation. The second point they made was using multiple interviewees rather than one, which is what everyone else did. They say it is good that I brought their different backgrounds and majors to bring into a whole idea.

When I was doing this project ,talking to different people, and reading many case studies, I learned that our differences as students makes us a very unique form of social institution. For example, if you go a ethnic restaurant you can see a predominant ethnicity eating there or Carnegie Hall, there are upper class individuals over the age of 65. But college especially a school like Queens college, we have students from all over the world, with different faiths and ideologies. There are even students who are not between the ages of 18-25, still wanting to earn a degree.  My interviewees taught me to appreciate my cultural background, and wear it with pride. They all mention using their first language as a tool in their education, which is something I never considered until now. For myself I learned that I can easily converse with many people with ease that because some people might consider themselves to be shy and reserved this gives me confidence to start a conversation with anybody. Language and writing in this project has taught me that, you do not need to have complex sentences or know big words in order to get the point across.

One Reply to “journal entry #7”

1. I’m so glad to hear that interviewing different people has helped you to think about language, identity, and ideology! You’re so right that this is what makes Queens College such a unique and valuable place for learning. More often than not, we don’t think about how much our experience is shaped by interactions we have with others (as you have included this point in earlier drafts). This means we really are the ones that can make our learning useful and meaningful, depending on how we view, act, and react in it. Thank you for reminding me of how fortunate I am to work with you and many other multilinguals at QC!